Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Granogue Race

I got to race my bike this weekend! Thanks to my folks for watching the kids.

A few interesting tid-bits from a guy that has maybe ridden his bike (anyone of the three) 6 times since January. Lined up for the start and went through the "corral" and wouldn't you know it I'm second row. I have absolutely no business being in the second row. I guess old habits are hard to break? So, I lined up on the left side which happened to be right next to Tom with the megaphone (Heckletron 3000). So, everyone is standing there waiting to start and I'm sporting the new pink Henry's kit. Yes, pink. They said pink is the new black. Besides it benefits breast cancer awareness. So, as we are waiting Tom says over the Heckletron 3000, "Hey, everybody be nice to the gay guy in the pink!" Gee thanks Tom.

I met my friend Andrew, "one of those old school mountain bikers," at registration. He too had not been riding much at all but came out to support the event anyway. I suggested that I wait for him and we could ride together. He said in typical limey fashion, "Bah, we're at a race." End of the first lap he caught me, he started a minute or so behind me. We rode together for a while, until I got my second wind.

After looking at the results, and after the staggered start is taken into consideration, he beat me by 1 second! Maybe I shouldn't have stopped to take off my arm warmers, or stop to tighten my shoe, or stop to catch my breath, or stop to let people by... next time no stopping!

Thanks to fatmarc and the cycling community in Delaware. They really have a great thing going down there. I'm honored to still be a part of it, all be it a small part.

I'll add some pictures later...

1 comment:

Your Friendly Neighborhood HR Dude said...

it was so good to see you down for the race. rock.