Monday, June 25, 2007

Another rookie mistake...

We had a nice family weekend. I think the first weekend Kristen had off in about a month. So, we did some family things during the day. I cooked breakfast, french toast and bacon, yummy! Saturday morning we went to the pool at Nockamixon, fun but it was a little chilly and breezy, a great day to be outside, but a little on the cold side for hanging around a pool. The kids had fun, nobody got really wet, except when Kris went under the dunk bucket things...

Saturday night Brent and Alice came up for some dinner. We had margaritas, Jon G's recipe, and ribs, chef jeff's recipe. Jeb help me with the dry rub, the garlic powder came out a little fast, but hey its garlic! It was really nice to hang out with B&A, we haven't hung out properly in a few years. Thanks for coming up.

Sunday morning after pancakes and sausage, Kris went to the gym. After lunch I had a 2 hour window in which to ride. I can do the two hour loop I did, well tried to do, last week. The ride was going really well, not sure if my fitness is coming around or more likely it was the new 105 cranks (Thanks Henry's!). I didn't even make a single wrong turn. I was setting a good time, I was due to be back under two hours until... Flat! No big deal, stop and change the tube... what the?!? Crap a short valved tube!??! Oh man I hope I can get the pump on it... Nope! Now what? Maybe if I use the old valve as a sort of valve extender??? First I need to rip the old tube open to get to the valve. Dang it, nothing sharp... I can just stretch it to break it... good idea! Until...WHACK! The tube smacks my hand, OW! Get the makeshift valve extender on... Dang it, no air going into the tube!! If I only took my cell phone when I had my hand on it before I left!! So, there I am about 5 miles from home with a flat tire. Guess I'll ride it home! It was surprisingly pretty smooth for riding a flat... Now I wonder how much damage I did to the rim?!?!?! Next time: long valve tube, pump, food, cell phone, large water bottles and money. Be prepared right?

For dinner we had a picnic at Stover and the kids got to play on the playground:

No comments: