Friday, June 15, 2007

New trails...

We bathed and put the kids down before Kris and I ate tonight. Delmonico steaks with caramelized onions and blue cheese, grilled potatoes, and Renwood Zinfandel. YUMMY! Yeah, I forgot the vegetable, shh... don't tell the dietitian ;-)

Last night (Thursday) I was able to get a ride in after work. After much deliberation the night before I decided I'd ride La Bala Blanca (my mountain bike). I wasn't really excited about riding Allamuchy again, same old stuff, even though this year I added an extra loop Derek showed me on our last hooky day.

After work I get to Allamuchy (Deer Park Rd {yeah DEER PARK}) I park next to two cars backed in next to each other. Funny how after years of going to state and county parks to ride mountain bikes you can see the "signs." Guy and a girl talking and giggling listening to music in their car on a beautiful Thursday evening...anyway? I start to unload la bala and remember I had to pump up the front tire because it had a slow leak. Pump it up and DOH! Valve rips out of the tube. Man, I should just go home. No, the family won't be home until 8:00 I need to ride tonight! Dang it! No tube in my bag... I should go home... No, I need to ride... OK I take the tube in my saddle bag and use it. That means I have to do the rest of the ride with no tube, if I flat I'll have a long walk out of the woods. Finally, I'm off.

Start the climb of the usual loop, huh? where's that trail go?
It goes up and down and around and over logs, over rocks, down exposed rock, over exposed rock, switch backs... THIS TRAIL ROCKS! Man it felt good to ride a new trail and a sweet one to boot! Eventually, I run into a guy with his son. He gives me the low down on the trail, it is new as of this year. He says that the other trails got ruined after the race they had there... (12 O' Muchy?) I end up back on the main trail and finish the loop and decide I should ride the new trail the opposite way I came, downhill! Get on the trail, cruising along... cross a log... oh look there's the trail that gees back to the parking lot... WHAM! ENDO! Dang it! I crashed! Ouch, that's going to leave a mark. I hit my knee on a rock. Maybe I should take that as a sign to take the trail back to the parking lot? Nah! Onward! The trail seemed a lot shorter this way, I guess when you're going down instead of up?

Back to the car, load up... Man my knee hurts. Maybe I should stop and get some frozen peas for my knee. Crap! I only have $2 on me... Two cheeseburgers or frozen peas for my knee? Yeah, cheeseburgers. Once I got home I could hardly walk. I immediately went to the freezer to get the kids "boo-boo buddy".

I had to do field work today with a bum knee. Fun stuff! I wonder how I'll do with my planned cover bridge ride Sunday?

No comments: