Monday, April 03, 2006

Ronde...

Sunday was the Tour of Flanders and I wanted to do a ride in "honor" of the race. I decided riding the "koppenberg" just outside of Manyunk was the proper way to honor the Ronde. The "koppenberg" is a steep cobbled climb that pretty much climbs from the river up to Ridge Ave. Only about half of it is cobbled, but it is the steep part that is cobbled.

I called Terry, Saturday and he said he was available Sunday afternoon... PERFECT! We met at the Norristown train station, which it turns out is almost exactly half way. It took us each 45 minutes to get there. We then road the bike path towards Manyunk and the "koppenberg". It was a tailwind the whole way down and I kept thinking how bad the ride back was going to be with the headwind. We made it to the end of the path without incident. We did get passed by some women who was truckin' We thought about "hopping on" but decided she was too fast for us, ok she was too fast for me, I can't speak for Terry.

We got to the "koppenberg" and I told Terry it was a real brut of a climb and to get ready. I also told him I didn't really know what to expect because I have not ridden the climb in a couple of years. It used to be one of my regular climbs when we were living in Philly. I used to ride from the city out to Kris's parents in Gwynedd, about a 3 hour ride with the "koppenberg" included. These days I don't think I could do that ride...
I wasn't sure if I was going to make it up yesterday or not, as I am not in very good shape these days... but I made it! Thanks to a 27 tooth rear cog! Yep, I have a 27 on my road bike! Terry made it up as well, I think he had a 23 or 25, like a real man should!

We basically turned around and rode the path back to Norristown. The headwind wasn't bad and we even had enough gumption to sprint up the hill by the parking garage. I had the jump but saw that he was coming around. So, I dug deep and beat him to the top! Yeah! I still got it! I'm the MAN! We got to the top and Terry says to hold up. I thought he needed to stop and eat his humble pie! About half way up his wheel slipped and was rubbing on the frame... So much for him eating humble pie, and so much for me being the MAN! Oh well...

No comments: