Friday, June 02, 2006

Delaware

I had a GIS conference on the UD campus Thursday, "Patterns of Change". It was pretty cool to be back on campus for a "professional" conference. The highlight of the conference was the keynote speaker, Alan Carroll, Chief Cartographer for National Geographic, Natty G as oddtoe likes to call it. He spoke about the history of cartography at Natty G and what he saw as the future of cartography. Really cool stuff... for a GIS geek.

When I told one of my "superiors" that I wanted to go to the conference he acted concerned that I'd find another job. Working in Delaware would be great, but he really had nothing to worry about because I suck at "networking". I think I talked to a total of 2 people there. I even skipped out on lunch, I went to Cappriotti's for a roast beef sub, yummy. Stopped by Bike Line, not much as changed there. It was good to see Kiem, he's as nutty as ever, and Howard, he's busy as ever.

The afternoon sessions at the conference were good but I started to "lose interest". It was becoming a long day of presentations. I even bailed on the Capstone speaker and the opportunity for door prizes.

Headed over the Henry's to hang out before our ride. Brent, Rick and myself were going to ride after Rick got off work. I realized what I miss most about working in a bike shop. After a while you get to know customers and anytime they come in it is almost like a friend comes in, that's what I liked so much about working in a bike shop, there were always friends stopping by.

As we were getting ready to leave we noticed the dark clouds rolling in. We checked the radar and decided we'd be fine. I brought my rain cape (coat for you non-riders), there is a certain superstition, that it will only rain on you when you don't bring your rain cape, and it won't rain on you when you bring it. I brought it hoping for the later.

We rode over to Middle Run and White Clay Creek. The trails in Delaware have got to be some of the best rolling single track in the country! I spent the whole evening trying to keep my bike on the trail and trying to keep up with Brent and Rick. Those guys are fast, especially on those trails! Now I know why all the Delaware guys are fast through the twisty stuff! We rode the "skills" trail, they had a see-saw, that was pretty cool and the first time I'd ever ridden a see-saw. The last 30 minutes of the ride it was getting really dark in the woods, I had trouble seeing, and we could hear the rumbling of thunder. The rain didn't really let loose on us until we got to the road to go back to the shop. Boy was I struggling to stay on their wheels! I came off a couple of times, but they were kind enough to wait for me.

It was really great to ride with those guys! On one of the road sections Rick rode the longest wheelie of his career! Way to go Rick, he really is one of the smoothest riders out there...

To sum up my day in Delaware: I miss the food in DE, I miss hanging out in DE, I miss riding in DE and I miss my friends in DE.

Now, if only I could "network", maybe I'd get an opportunity to move back?

No comments: